Saturday, March 14, 2009

My First Roller Coaster

So my fellow coaster blogger The Coaster Critic gave me the idea of making a post about My First Roller Coaster.

I got to thinking about it, and well I don't quite remember. It must have been when I was very very young. I have an idea of what it might have been and I'm gonna go with the Roller Coaster at the defunct Nunley's back in Long Island New York.

My memories of Nunleys aren't too clear as the old fashioned destination was closed down when I was 10 years old. What I do remember is that the place was 10 minutes from my house and was old school. It had maybe 7 or so kiddie rides (the coaster being one of them) a whole bunch of classic style arcade games and a famous carousel. The Roller Coaster wasn't anything special, it was a standard small kiddie coaster and like everything else at Nunleys it was old (the coaster opened in 1954). The Roller Coaster was in the back of the small park and right up next to the neighbooring High School Football Field.

My favorite memories from Nunley's actually weren't the rides, but the classic style arcade games they had. While as a kid I liked the more modern stuff at places like Nathans & Chuck E. Cheese, the old school games at Nunleys were a nice change of pace. They had things like put a quarter in and watch the puppets sing and dance, old time photo booths and all the Pac Mans/Centepide etc.

I know I've heard on again and off again plans about the Carousel re-appearing somewhere on Long Island, but now that I no longer live there I'm out of the loop.

If you want to learn more about Nunley's check out this video report I found on YouTube (which for some reason is hosted by a Bunny Puppet).

No comments: